|Practical maximum output||14W+14W|
|Enclosure format||Bass-reflex type|
|Frequency response||80Hz - 22kHz|
|Input terminal||RCA pin-jack(stereo), 3.5mm(1/8") stereo mini jack|
|Power supply||Dedicated AC adapter(PS-P1524E)|
|Input power consumption||AC100-240V, 50/60Hz|
|Output power consumption||DC15V|
|Dimensions||110 (W) × 170 (H) × 138 (D) mm
4.3 (W) × 6.7 (H) × 5.4 (D) inchi
(not including projections)
|Active unit (left)||1.1kg / 2.4lb|
|Passive unit (right)||1.0kg / 2.2lb|
|Included Accessories||Dedicated AC adapter(TASCAM PS-P1524E), Speaker cables for left and right cabinet connection, RCA-phone plug conversion cable, Owner's Manual(including warranty)|
VL-S3 and VL-S3BT bring great-sounding compact studio monitoring to the price of a set of headphones. The two-way powered monitors include a 3-inch woofer vented by a bass reflex port on the rear to create a surprising punch. A pair of RCA inputs accept any line-level input signal, and a stereo 6.3-mm to RCA cable is included to connect to the jack outputs of your mixer or audio interface. Also available is a 3.5-mm stereo mini jack for playing from smartphones or MP3 players. An efficient stereo power amplifier with 14 Watts per side drives the two monitors. The compact, ported cabinets fit almost anywhere and are ideal for home studios, dorm rooms, or video editing suites. The VL-S3BT has a high-quality Bluetooth receiver built in for wireless playback from smartphones, tablets, and other devices.
Built-in Power Amplifier with 14 Watts Per Channel
Designed specifically for desktop systems, the integrated 14 W + 14 W power amplifier provides you not only powerful, full volume monitoring, but also features well-balanced sound at low volume. The VL-S3 work great in areas where excessive volume might be a problem, such as bedrooms, dorm rooms, and apartment buildings.
- RCA and Stereo Mini Jack Line Inputs
- The dual RCA inputs provide a common, compact interface for connecting with unbalanced sources. A 1/4" stereo phone plug to RCA conversion cable is included for sources like an audio interface or Portastudio with a 1/4" phone output jack can be interfaced.
- The VL-S3 also includes a 1/8” stereo mini input jack, which automatically shuts off the RCA inputs. Using a standard stereo mini cable, a portable MP3 player, iPad or smartphone can be connected.
|Features at a glance|
- Power amplifier output: 14W + 14W (Left speaker contains the power amplifier)
- 3-inch woofer/0.5-inch tweeter
- Bass reflex port
- Specially tuned 8kHz crossover circuit – well outside the vocal range
- RCA terminals(stereo) and 3.5mm stereo mini unbalanced input(the stereo 1/8" mini jack is preferred)
- Volume control
- Power switch/Power LED
- Dedicated AC adapter included (TASCAM PS-P1524E)
- RoHS certified
aptX®/AAC codecs for low latency and high definition
A Bluetooth receiver is built into the cabinet, making wireless playback possible from a smartphone, PC, or any Bluetooth-enabled device where the reference sound is saved. Bluetooth playback supports aptX and AAC codecs – higher definition and lower latency than the typical SBC codec. So, without any cables, the sound can be compared to the sound in production – resulting in high-definition playback which does not feel wireless. Switching input and pairing can be done using the buttons on the front of the body.
Music playback over Bluetooth
Transmission protocols, called profiles, are standardized for the purpose of wireless transmission via Bluetooth. VL-S3BT uses the profile A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), and can wirelessly play back from devices compatible with A2DP. Furthermore, the sound is compressed for wireless transmission. This compression method is called codec. Confirm which codec your device is compatible with on the webpage describing your device.
Codecs supported by VL-S3BT
- SBC (Sub Band Codec): This is the standard codec which all A2DP-compatible equipment support. It has a higher definition than a headset mic, for example, but is inferior to the codecs described below. Also, latency occurs at the time of compression, so a time lag may be felt when listening to a video or the like.
- AAC (Advanced Audio Codec): This is the codec used mainly in iPhones and other iOS devices. The time lag is negligible. The compression rate is on par with SBC, but has superior definition.
- aptX: The compression rate is low, allowing for playback in high definition – closer to the original sound. The time lag is also negligible.