Note: HDD support also planned in addition to the SSD.
|Number of channels||64(1xFs), 32(2xFs)|
|Sampling frequencies||44.1k/48k/88.2k/96k Hz|
|Quantization bit rate||16bit/24bit|
|Clock reference||INTERNAL, WORD IN, VIDEO IN|
|Timecode frame||24 / 25 / 29.97DF / 29.97NDF / 30DF / 30NDF|
|TIME CODE IN|
|Signal voltage amplitude||0.5V to 5Vp-p|
|Format||SMPTE 12M-1999 compliant|
|TIME CODE OUT|
|Signal voltage amplitude||2Vp-p|
|Format||SMPTE 12M-1999 compliant|
|Input voltage amplitude (WORD)||0.5V to 5Vp-p TTL equivalent|
|Signal voltage amplitude (VIDEO)||1Vp-p|
|Input impedance||75Ω +/-10%|
|Input frequency (WORD)||48kHz|
|Input signal (VIDEO)||24/25/29.97/30Frame(NTSC/PAL Black burst, HDTV Tri-Level)|
|Output voltage amplitude||5V TTL equivalent|
|Output frequency (WORD)||48kHz|
|Connector||D-sub 9 pin (female, inch-standard)|
|Connector||D-sub 15 pin (female, inch-standard)|
|Protocol||USB 2.0 HIGH SPEED(480Mbps)|
|Connector||6.3mm(1/4') standard stereo jack|
|Maximum output level||45mW+45mW or higher|
*DA-6400dp has 2 power supply inlets
|Power consumption||21W (At the time of IF-MA64/EX use)|
|Operating temperature||0 to +40˚C|
|Standard accessories||TASCAM SSD, SSD media case, Power cable×1 (DA-6400), Power cable×2 (DA-6400dp), USB cable, Rack mount screw kit, Security screw kit, Owner’s manual (with warranty)|
The DA-6400 is a universal backup recording system for up to 64 audio tracks received from a Digital Audio Workstation or live mixing console. The recorder can be used with a variety of interface boards like MADI, DANTE, DigiLink, AVB or AES/EBU to integrate flawlessly into virtually any environment. Moreover, Tascam plans to maintain the recorder as a living system by adapting it continuously to new interfaces and systems according to the needs of users.
The DA-6400 uses a special real-time operating system and highly reliable SSD drives for storage. A model with rundant power supply is also available (DA-6400dp).
- Embedded operating system for reliability and simplicity
- The DA-6400 uses an embedded operating system for quick startup and simple operation. The system is designed for reliable recording when using high sampling rates and large amounts of data transmission. Files are saved approximately every 20 seconds during recording, so data losses due to unexpected power supply interruptions are kept to a minimum.
- Records and plays back 64 channels at 48kHz/24-bit or 32 channels at 96kHz/24-bit PCM
- PCM recording/playback from 48kHz to 96kHz maximum is supported for compatibility with existing recording studio systems, PA systems and other recording situations where high sampling rates are being utilized. High-resolution recording of 96kHz/24-bit is also available.
Custom-designed Solid State Drives for maximum performance
- The DA-6400 records to solid-state drives (SSD), the ideal format due to their excellent vibration protection, environmental resistance, and simple, maintenance-free operation. A TASCAM SSD is included, designed for and thoroughly tested with DA-6400 recorders. Internal components, including IC control elements, have been carefully selected and constantly tested lot by lot with the parts manufacturers to maintain quality specifications.
The included 240GB SSD is pre-installed into a removable AK-CC25 storage case. Using the swappable bay in the DA-6400 unit, drives can be hot-swapped and then given to clients. The AK-CC25 case includes a USB 3 jack for rapid transfer to DAW systems.
Note: HDD support currently under development. One AK-CC25 and one TASCAM SSD are included with each DA-6400/DA-6400dp unit. Additional cases and drives can be purchased separately.
Built-in high-precision TCXO clock with 1ppm accuracy
- Because the clock generator can influence drift and digital signal quality, the DA-6400 employs a temperature-compensated crystal oscillator (TCXO) with a high precision of +/-1 ppm (0.048 Hz when 48 kHz)
The DA-6400dp includes a redundant power supply
- In addition to the DA-6400 standard model, the DA-6400dp is available with two power supply circuits to allow redundant power from another AC circuit. This provides failsafe operation in case AC power is interrupted on one of the circuits.
- 1U size enables installation where rack space is at a premium
- A single DA-6400 can record and play back up to 64 channels in a compact 1U design. Ideal for crowded broadcast trucks and machine rooms, the DA-6400 fits into almost any installation.
|The Ideal Backup Recorder|
- Backup recordings synchronized with Pro Tools studio systems
- The DA-6400 can receive timecode from a Pro Tools system for backup recording with synchronized operation. Using serial or parallel control, you can start DA-6400 recording operations from Pro Tools.
In a studio or live system that supports MADI, you can use the IF-MA64/EX audio interface card. It supports MADI thru to include a DA-6400 between a mixing desk and Pro Tools (or another main recording system). The IF-MA64/EX features a fully-redundant MADI thru, sending MADI from the input to a another device even if the power is disconnected. No matter which interface you use, a DA-6400 can be installed for a compact, lightweight backup instead of purchasing a second complete system.
A compact solution for live recording
- The main unit of the DA-6400 weighs 3.5 kg, enabling great mobility when used as a backup recorder – perfect for transport to a variety of locations. With a single Dante cable from your digital console, an entire tour can be recorded in only a single rackspace. Other applications include backup track playback and rehearsal recording for a 'virtual soundcheck.'.
BWF support for easy transfer to DAW software
- The DA-6400 records in Broadcast WAV (BWF) format, which includes timecode information in the files. File searches and importing files into Pro Tools and other DAW software is made simple with recording information baked into the files.
|Multi-playback device meets the requirements of various systems and locations|
- Ideal system for multi-channel playback
- The DA-6400 is a perfect solid-state, compact playback system for theaters, theme parks, and similar venues. In addition to ordinary playback operations, serial/parallel external control can also be used to send play triggers.
Can be used as a timecode synchronization master device
- Using LTC (SMPTE timecode), the DA-6400 can be used as a timecode synchronization master device. The supported timecode frame rates are 24, 25, 29.97DF, 29.97NDF, 30DF and 30NDF.
|Included remote control and LAN functions|
- Gigabit Ethernet for control and file transfer over FTP
- 1000BASE-T gigabit LAN is included for remote control and file transfer. Standard FTP (File Transfer Protocol) can be used to push files to the unit or remotely access recordings from Windows, Macintosh, or UNIX systems. A built-in FTP client is also included for file transfer between SSDs and servers.
- Serial RS-422 and parallel control options
- External remote track arming and transport controls over RS-422 serial communication (P2 protocol) is available for post, broadcast, and live console remote operation. The parallel jack can also be used for transport operation from system controllers and consoles.
- SNTP server support for internal clock set
- With SNTP support, the DA-6400 can automatically updates its internal clock at regular intervals over a network, so accurate time information can be maintained.
|A growing selection of I/O cards for professional multichannel operation|
- MADI, Dante, and AES/EBU multichannel I/O cards are supported
- The DA-6400's family of I/O cards includes two MADI options, Dante, and AES/EBU multichannel digital interfaces, with more on the way. Connect with nearly any professional audio equipment using the latest digital I/O networks – either coaxial, optial, or over CAT5.
Two audio interface slots provide input and output flexibility
- The DA-6400 has two rear audio interface slots. By adding interface cards (sold separately), multi-format options are now available. Convert signals from Dante input to MADI output if required. One slot can use MADI to record 56 channels from the main stage while the other slot uses AES/EBU to record 8 channels from a submixer. When installing 2 AES/EBU interface cards, the maximum number of simultaneous input and output can be increased to 32 channels – even at 96kHz/24-bit resolution.
|Features at a glance|
- Supports recording/playback of 64 channels at 48kHz/24-bit or 32 channels at 96kHz/24-bit PCM
- The perfect backup recording system for synchronized capture with Pro Tools systems
- 2.5-inch SSD recording media with excellent vibration and environmental resistance as well as maintenance-free operation.
(Note: HDD support currently under development)
- Includes TASCAM SSD – designed with custom controller parts and thoroughly tested using DA-6400 units
- Hot swappable AK-CC25 case loads into front-loaded storage bay with USB 3 I/O port for transfer to DAW computer
- AK-CC25 with TASCAM 240GB SSD drive included with unit
- Hi-visibility Color LCD (320×120 pixels)
- BWF support for storing time information with files
- Two I/O slots for optional audio interface cards:
- IF-MA64/EX 64-channel redundant (in/out/thru) MADI optical/coaxial interface card
- IF-MA64/BN 64-channel MADI coaxial interface card
- IF-DA64 64-channel Dante interface card
- IF-AE16 16-channel AES/EBU interface card
- SMPTE LTC timecode input and output for location synchronization
- Firmware upload over USB port
- Parallel remote control input
- RS-422 serial remote control (9-pin serial protocol compliant)
- Gigabit LAN (1000BASE-T Ethernet) for file transfer, remote control and monitoring over a network
- SNTP server support for automatic adjustment of the internal clock over a network
- Video reference (NTSC/PAL blackburst signals and HDTV Tri-level signals) and word clock input and output/thru
- EIA 1U rackmount size
- IEC 3-pin inlet
- iPad and computer applications for remote control
- AC power redundancy built in (DA-6400dp only)
TASCAM SSD features
- 240GB 2.5-inch serial ATA SSD
- With cooperation with parts manufacturers, TASCAM uses a specific control IC for stable, reliable operation
- SSD operation has been tested with the DA-6400
- One included with each DA-6400/DA-6400dp; additional drives can be purchased separately
- Total recording time: 7h12m@48kHz/24-bits, 64 channels
AK-CC25 (DA-6400 series SSD storage case) features
- 2.5-inch serial ATA SSD can be installed
(Note: HDD support currently under development)
- USB 3.0 interface supports high-speed data transfer
- Data transfer possible when loaded in a DA-6400 bay and when connected by USB to a computer as an external drive
- LED disk access indicator
- One included with each DA-6400/DA-6400dp; additional cases can be purchased separately